PT Semen Indonesia (Persero) Tbk together with its subsidiaries try to process raw material mining and cement production with due regard to environmental sustainability. The Company refer to AMDAL document preparation guidelines for the cement and mining industry integrated activities from the Ministry of Environment. This regulation refers to Law No. 32/2009 on the Protection and Management of the Environment. In waste management, we refer to the Minister of Enivronment Regulation No. 33/2009 on Procedures for Restoration of Hazardous and Toxic Waste Contamined Land.
The Company also support the initiative of Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions reduction by 26% in 2020. This initiative refers to the President Regulation No. 61/2011 on the National Action Plan for the Reduction of GHG Emissions and Presidential Regulation No. 71/2011 on the Implementation of GHG National Inventory, as well as the dissemination of the results of UNFCCC COP-19, held in Warsawa, Poland.
In accordance with the Ministry of Industry Regulation No. 12/M-IND/PER/1/2012 on Map of CO2 Emissions Reduction Guidelines for Cement Industry in Indonesia, stipulated in Article 4; Specific CO2 Emission Reduction from baseline 2009 are : voluntary by 2% for the periode 2011-2015 and mandatory by 3% for the period 2016-2020. The Company have succeesfully run our business while stying committed to preservation of the environment. Until 2014, the Company has succeeded in reducing CO2 emission by 6,56% (baseline 2009), whic indicated that the Company has exceeded the Government’s target to reduce CO2 emissions.
Throughout 2014, the Company and its subsidiaries have intiated the efforts to prevent environmental damage. This is demonstrated through, among others :
- The Company has received approval for Analysis on Environmental Impact (AMDAL) of PT Semen Gresik plant in Rembang Regency, Central Java, based on Decree No. 660.1/17/2012.
- The Company has recived approval for mining plan of raw materials such as limestone to supply PT Semen Gresik cement plant in Rembang Regency, through Decree No. 545/3/2011.
- The Company has received approval for AMDAL document on development of Indarung VI plant of PT Semen Padang, based on Major of Padang Decree No. 87/2011 on Approval for AMDAL, RKL and RPL. In addition, the Company has also received approlval for plans to mine raw materials such as limestone to supply Indarung VI Plant, based on Mayor of Padang Decree No. 161/2012 on Environmental Feasibility of Limestone Mining Plan.
Environmental Friendly Plant
Semen Indonesia’s commitment to operate the plant is environmentally friendly, is realized by applying modern design environmentally friendly plant with the latest technology at the plant in Rembang Rembang, Central Java I and VI Indarung factory in Padang, West Sumatra. For example in Rembang plant implemented the use of the Main Bag House Filter, which is a replacement technology Electrostatic Precipitator (ESP) and does not have a safety interlock, thereby enabling low dust emissions, below 30 mg / Nm3, even when the kiln operation is being offset. In addition, for easy maintenance penggantin Main filter bags Bag House Filter in the design using the online maintenance concept which allows the replacement is done when the equipment is operating. To manage the use of water, Rembang plant equipped with the technology and mechanism of utilization of surface water which comes from reprocessing of used water. Processing carried out at the facility water treatment plant (WTP) using the dissolved air flotation (DAF) and ultrafiltration (UF) that more efficient use of chemicals and electricity consumption.
Semen Indonesia’s commitment and its subsidiary entities in preserving the environment, are also realized through the construction of a new plant in Rembang which is designed as a factory with energy and water consumption are minimal, strict emission control, as well as 30 percent of a factory area of ??green open space (RTH).
Implementation of commitment as an environmentally friendly factory realized also with increasing environmental costs and its designation which in 2014 reached Rp 5,181,196,639, an increase compared to the year 2013 amounting to Rp 3,687,243,497.
In addition to Alternative Fuel, energy used by Semen Indonesia and its subsidiaries in 2014 was from oil fuel (BBM), coal, and electricity. With increased capacity and volume of cement production, the amount of energy consumption during 2014 increased compared to the previous period. The energy produced was used for the mining operations, transportation, and production at the plant. It was also used to support activities outside the Company.
Semen Indonesia’s deterination inmaking innovation of renewable energy utilization earned the Energy Pratama Award 2014 from the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (EMR). The award was for the Company’s success in utilizing renewable energy biomass as Alternatif Fuel and actively developed new technologies and innovations in energy sector. Utilization of biomass bring benefit, such as :
- Improve the efficiency of operating costs
- Preserve the environment by reducing emissions of greenhouse gases (GHGs)
- Provide stimulus to local communicty’s economy, because biomass is supplied from the area around the plants, such as Tuban, Lamongan and Bojonegoro regencies in East Java, and Rembang in Central Java.
In addition to the utilization of biomass as Alternative Fuel, in 2014 we also developed technologies in renewable energy sector in the following forms:
- Waste to Zero Project, which is the utilization of municipal waste as Alternative Fuel (refuse derived fuel or RDF);
- Waste Heat Recovery Project Generator (WHRPG) of Tuban Plant, such as the utilization of exhaust gases from the combustion process, as power plant with an output of 30 MW.